Thursday, May 1, 2014

April 13 -- Red-faced Warblers and Others Along South Fork

The South Fork trail, beyond beyond Cave Creek Canyon's road's end and the picnic area, is such a special place that it merits repeat visits. I've been there in May, when Greater Pewee were singing their "Jose Maria" calls from the treetops, and Canyon Wrens sing their unique song. And in spring and summer, Elegant Trogon nest in the canyon and the lower reaches of South Fork. So it was with the anticipation that ANYthing could be heard and found that I did another solo hike up South Fork trail, then up a spur to Sentinel Peak. The morning along the creek was gorgeous --


Lizards were out about; there are over 20 species of lizards in the Chiricahuas, including Gila Monster; this isn't one, but everything is of interest in this "sky island" --


And then the warblers and flycatchers began to make their morning appearance. The first I saw was a Yellow-rumped Warbler, a common enough species, but in full breeding plumage they can be quite eye-catching -- 


I heard the call of a Plumbeous Vireo and sure enough, there one was, though of course obscured behind branches and leaves; the foliage can be quite thick here -- 


And then I saw a Brown Creeper, spiraling slowly up a tree -- 


A female Broad-tailed Hummingbird made a brief appearance, flying away seemingly in an eyeblink of time --



Hairy Woodpeckers, with their white patch on the back, are easy to ID and you soon get used to hearing their call in the Chiricahuas -- 


And flycatchers were in the willows along the creek; I spotted this Hutton's Vireo preening about taking a bath -- 


But the bird I REALLY wanted to see here was the Red-faced Warbler. I'd seen one along the Chiricahua Crest Trail above Rustler Park a few years back but nothing since, so it was a thrill to see about 4 of them during the hike, and to have them sing, too -- 




 I even got one procuring lunch -- a good-sized cicada --



The Red-faced seemed to be saying "OK, so NOW what do I do with it?" I never saw the outcome, but I'm sure he succeeded in downing it. 



I left them as they were singing and searching for food. The Red-faceds will be in the Chiricahuas until the end of August, when they'll depart for Mexico. As I headed up the canyon I also saw a flock of Pine Siskin at the top of a tree -- 


I took the spur trail that leads to Sentinel Peak, about 3 miles further and up, but the trail became steep so I headed back, seeing another female Williamson's Sapsucker along the way (which made that the 4th one I'd seen, but no males).  While hiking back, there are parts of the South Fork trail that go out of the creek bed and climb up a side of the canyon, so you can see above the treetops and marvel at the Apache and Ponderosa Pine, along with Douglas Fir, Arizona Sycamore and oak -- all within 60 miles at most from the Mexican border. 


What a great hike. And I'd "do" South Fork one more time, a week later, with friends. But my friend Dodie recommended Greenhouse Trail, accessed from Herb Martyr Road, so that's what I'll do tomorrow, Monday the 14th...





No comments:

Post a Comment