Tuesday, August 25, 2015

August 24 -- Honey Do's Without The Honey, And A Successful Dinner

The morning of the 24th began with a beautiful, soft sunrise over the Chiricahuas and Cave Creek Canyon to the west --


And to the east, a cloud-filled sunrise --


At 9am I dropped by the quaint, 1920's -style Portal post office and waited for "Postmistress Joan" and her daughter Debbie to open up; I was expecting my new Nikon Monarch 7 8 x 42 binoculars -- and there they were, in a Amazon box (I'm a big fan of Amazon; I won't say how much money I've spent there since 2000, because I don't know).. I went back to Faranuf, and the back yard was full of activity -- hummingbirds fighting for feeders and territory, House Finches at the seed hangers, the Curve-billed Thrasher kinda lording it over all, and a bit later Mr. and Mrs. Northern Cardinal dropped by for a visit. I decided to organize the folders containing my papers (bank, Faranuf, my IRA, etc) and made a half-hearted attempt in the afternoon to re-condition the front porch, but upon reading the directions you had to treat the redwood decks in shade -- and the strong sun was on it. So I took a nap (more staring at the ceiling while in bed) then starting getting things ready for my maiden dinner at Faranuf with Dodie, a good friend and phenomenal birder who had also just recently bought a house here, though further up the canyon. On the menu were chicken thighs and pasta, with Ghirardelli double chocolate brownies as a deliciously decadent dessert. I have to admit that everything was successful -- and with a bottle of Malbec wine the conversation flowed, and a great time was had by us both. Oh -- earlier that afternoon another Coues (Whitetail) deer came through the back yard --


No mistaking THAT as anything but a White-tailed deer... So another day passed at Faranuf, and I;m looking forward to Tuesday and what it might bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment