Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October 13 -- Waiting for my 500 f/4 To Be Delivered, and Life At Faranuf So Far

First, once again --


When the sunrise is kinda dull -- and it was as there were no clouds to speak of in the sky -- then I use my 100-400 f/5.6 lens with the new 1.4x TC on (I destroyed the other TC during the Big Drop of the Lunar Eclipse) and zoom in on the Peloncillos to the east and the just-peeking-over-the-mountains sun. I was going to have to wait around Faranuf as my Canon 500 f/4 lens, also damaged during the Big Drop, was being delivered after spending a week at the Canon Service Center back in Costa Mesa, California. The TC got jammed on the 500, so they took them apart and checked to make sure that everything else was ok. It cost nearly $400, but it's better than buying a new one at $9,000 -- a Mark II; I have a MK I that is, of course, no longer being made, and is next to impossible to find used. So I puttered around, taking  a photo of Silver Peak in a "Red Glow"phase just after sunrise, again with the 100-400 + 1.4x TC combo -- 


I spent the rest of the day puttering around -- fixing my flat tire on Diamondback (I went out to the garage the other day only to find a flat rear tire), and watching the action with the wildlife in my back yard. The Mr. Coues deer who visited the day before visited again, and once again didn't drink from the water feature, but Mrs Coues deer finally came back, too, and drank water. Hopefully she was checking things out before bringing her 3 "kids" back...I finally got my 500 f/4 lens back -- at 4:32pm; FedEx said it would be delivered "by 4:30". But I cut the guy some slack as Portal is a bit off the beaten path -- and the driver must be in his 60's, kinda old to be doing that kind of thing. Now that I had the lens back, I fired it up and took some photos of backyard birds -- 



Black-throated and White-crowned Sparrows both at ISO 1000. So everything looks good once again... 

I think it's time (as this was a short post) to do a look back at my time in Faranuf so far -- about 2 months and counting... 

 Tundra Dos and Discovery Dos at the RV park in Overton, just as I left for Faranuf


Coming to the Chiricahuas and Faranuf...

Faranuf's Back Yard Before The Transformation

Inside Faranuf -- The Living Room, Looking Out To The Back Yard


A sunset over False Portal Peak

The monsoons...


Rufous hummingbird at my back yard feeders

Mr. Coues deer visits (still with velvet on antlers)

Juvenile Swanson's Hawk on Hwy 80

Lightning! 

MORE lightning! 

"Spirit Horse" at Whitetail Canyon

Sunset on a cloud


The planting of Desert Willow (doing fine now, Oct 13 -- thanks)

The Red Glow on Sunset Peak

Lunar Eclipse

Rock formations on Silver Peak with swirling clouds

Cumulonimbus, or Anvil, clouds


Early-morning light peeks through the clouds over Silver Peak

Sunrise colors over Cave Creek Canyon

South Fork Creek with Diamondback

A "solar pillar" over the Peloncillos

WHEW!  Quite a lot for 2 months -- and those are just the highlights. And now we're at October 14 -- and the adventure continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment