Thursday, October 30, 2014

October 29 -- A Visit to the Eastern Sierra Wildlife Care Center, And Bidding Adieu to the Wild Burros of Aberdeen

It's nearly time to move on to Overton, Nevada for the winter and warmer weather -- I'll be leaving Bishop and the eastern Sierra this Saturday, November 1. Or delay for 1 day as a winter storm will be moving in Friday evening and morning...We'll see. Yesterday was a day for doing errands in the morning, going to the Bishop K-Mart for 2 flannel, snap-button shirts among other things, then Vons for last-minute groceries and carrots and apples for a final visit with the burros. I headed south on Hwy 395 for Keough Hot Springs and a visit with Cindy Kamler, the head of Eastern Sierra Wildlife Care Center (click on for their website) which takes care of injured animals of all types within a 2000-square-mile area of eastern California and Nevada. My new friend who I met (along with his wife, Bev) here at the RV park, Dan Fenske, a falconer and veteran Peregrine Falcon chronicler since the days when the Peregrines were nearly exterminated in the late 70's and 80's, told me about Cindy and the care center -- and mentioned that she had just taken in an injured Peregrine. So of course I HAD to visit...I met Cindy at the center and she showed me some of her "patients" and birds permanently "grounded" and used for presentations, such as Razzle the Raven and Spirit the Red-tailed Hawk. The Peregrine has a wing injury and hopefully will have a full recovery --


She also showed me a beautiful Screech Owl that suffered a concussion from hitting a driver-sider car window; she should be released today the 30th -- 


And then there's Bob the Big Brown Bat -- 


I had a great, educational time there and promised to drop by whenever I'm back in the eastern Sierra area...And they can always use money contributions as they're chronically underfunded, and take care of so many animals...

Then it was on to a final visit with the Wild Burros of Aberdeen. They were further down the road than usual, in a rocky, volcanic area, but I held out the carrots, and they couldn't say no -- 


They couldn't say no, that is, except for one who ran away every time I came near him with a carrot or apple. I think he's the colt that my friend Dan Fenske mentioned. He didn't eat any of my offerings, just stayed away from the rest of the burros -- 


Unbeatable background, eh? 






They're SO gentle, and very responsive when you, say, scratch them behind their ears, nudging your hand because they want some more...Finally, I had to regretfully leave, and as I headed out 2 stuck their heads through the driver's side window as if to plead "Don't leave!" I'll miss you guys and gal(s)...


After my burro visit, I went to Klondike Lake to enjoy the late-afternoon there, and possibly get some photos of birds; I did see the Northern Harrier again, hunting the fields, but she was too far away and flying away from me, though the 500 f/4 lens did a fantastic job at this distance; she's tack-sharp against the earth colors of the Inyo Mountains --


Today, Thursday the 30th, is the day of my last day hike in the Sierra, up Convict Creek and canyon behind Convict Lake...

No comments:

Post a Comment