Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Nov 23 and 24 -- South Fork Hike (Part Deux) And The Run To Douglas

Back to the hike on the 24th up Cave Creek Canyon's South Fork...Just at the end of a long stretch of South Fork Creek, there's a 90-degree bend in the canyon, and at the corner is a series of small cascades, one of which empties into a pool; locals call this "The Bathtub". It's a beautiful, idyllic spot, especially with its background of fall color --


It's hard not to take a lot of shots to get everything just right -- the 2 cascades, the backlighting on the autumn foliage, the shimmering colors and shafts of light on the pool. It's pretty intoxicating stuff. (BTW, a point of photography; this photo was actually taken in the afternoon, when I was coming back. You had to take it at that time to get the backlit trees, sunlight and shimmering color on the water, etc. the morning scene, while pretty, wasn't as memorable.) From here, the trail continues on the right side of the canyon at creek level, so it's a pretty easy hike. And though there was much damage to the creek area from Hurricane Odile, the trail has been restored and buttressed, and even the vague spots have either cairns or red bands around the trees so you don't lose you way (well, most of the time). Some of the plants and shrubs
along the way are gorgeous, especially when set against the desert flora such as yucca --




On closer inspection, some of the leaves reveal tiny, colorful insects; this one must've been all of 1/8th inch long -- 



There was a spot in the riparian area called Maple Camp, and was known (duh) for its Maples; though it's still on the signage at the trailhead, it's gone, another victim of the flood caused by Hurricane Odile. As the creek bed opens up, and the trail occasionally is forced into it, you can see the awesome power of the flood churning downstream, carrying debris with it until it's pinned against an immovable object --  


At this point the creek bed is about 50 feet wide; all of this was dense riparian growth the last time I hiked here in April 2014, 5 months before the flood -- 


It's hard to believe that such a placid-looking stream could be a roaring, swiftly moving river...The trail criss-crosses the stream a few times, and at one of the crossings my luck ran out. It was a slippery rock, and I stumbled. I wasn't hurt (except for my left arm, which throbbed for a short while) because I fell slowly, and didn't try to do a fast scramble back on my feet. And -- most important of all, since I knew I was ok  -- my landscape camera, which I was carrying on a neck strap, was ok, too. And of course I looked around to make sure no one saw my clumsiness (and there was another hiker with his dog who had gone ahead of me). The creek meanders through the canyon, and there are spots where the trail crosses to the other side, but it was all well marked, and eventually I passed up the hiker and his dog;t his was his first time on South Fork,  but he sounded like he and his dog were veteran hikers ("I'm not worried about mountain lions and bears -- this is nothing compared to Yellowstone!") I eventually reached a small pool along the trail, as as it was noon I decided I'd gone far enough for the day (at least 4 miles from where I'd parked the truck), so had lunch and headed back. The light had changed direction to where it was at my back, so I looked behind me to get some shots along the creek -- 




Do I worry about coming across mountain lions or bears on my hikes? No, but I whistle and make noises such as coughing or clearing my throat (I do that anyways as I still have a cold) just to make sure any animal nearby knows I'm around. After passing "The Bathtub", and near the old picnic area where the original trailhead began, the slanted light, yucca tree and fall colors in the background created a memorable picture -- 


I'd taken a photo from this exact spot last year around the same time; it hasn't changed at all. The canyon walls started to become visible -- 


And one last look at the autumn colors and canyon walls before I reached my truck -- 


It was another great hike -- but I really haven't had a bad one in the months I've been here. 

The following day was the "grocery run" to Douglas, about 55 miles south of Faranuf. I always try to get an early start -- around 7am -- as I want to get back as early as possible, certainly before the crowds at Wal-Mart. I never tire of the scenery along Hwy 80, the road to Douglas. It's mostly rolling savannah-type land with waving grasses, dotted with hills -- and quite empty of "civilization". Both of these photos were taken from the intersection with the road to Rucker Canyon -- 




That's just north of the beginning of the Chiricahuas in the 2nd photo. And here is part of Hwy 80, looking south at Milepost 386 -- 


The traffic here is extremely light -- sometimes non-existent except for the occasional semi either heading to, or from, the border crossing with Mexico. My friend Helen tells me that the hills in the distance in are Peregrine eyries, where if you look carefully you can see Peregrine Falcons flying among the bluffs -- 


I didn't see any Peregrines during the drive, but a Loggerhead Shrike was warming up in the early-morning sun --


Once in Douglas, the places I go to for shopping, and the order I visit them, rarely changes -- Wal-Mart, B and D Lumber (this time I picked up a board of lumber to make a Say's Phoebe nest box, the instructions to which I got off the Internet), gas at either the Chevron or Shell station, Food City for a prescription and to grab at carnitas burrito stuffed with rice and beans for lunch -- delicious! -- then get the heck out of Dodge. An hour later, Portal Peak welcomes me like an old friend -- and another "grocery run" is accomplished... 







2 comments:

  1. Just a gorgeous trail with lovely FALL colors. Good your shoulder was only temporarily in pain. Welcome to the clumsy club. I was out delivering meals on wheels and stepped on something slightly spraining my ankle. Luckily, like you no one was around. Did you get the smart phone battery power charger and traditional corded phone. Are you having turkey tomorrow with a group? Have a Happy ?First Thanskgiving at FARANUF 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wes -- No , not yet on both items, though they're on my "to get" list. No rush on either item as I'll be leaving for So Cal in a little over 2 weeks anyway, and be gone until the end of January. I'll be going over to a friend's house for turkey and fixins' tomorrow. You and Linda have a good Thanksgiving, too!

      Delete