Sunday, March 6, 2016

March 4-5 --- A Hike To Winn Falls Overlook, And A Classical Guitar Concert


Friday the 4th started out with a bang; the spectacular sunrises here on the east side of the Chiricahuas just keep coming. It started slowly, with just a bit of color, so I used my 100-400 lens to focus on it as it slowly appeared over the Peloncillo Mountains -- 




About 10 minutes later, the sky to the west lit up -- 


Even the moon was getting in on the act, as some of the predawn-lit clouds were passing in front of it, giving the sky a pinkish hue --



I did a walk down to Faranuf Trail's gate, and saw the sunrise-lit Silver Peak behind Faranuf and Discovery II --




I'd say that was a good omen for my hike in the Chiricahuas...It was going up Greenhouse Trail, my favorite trail, to the overlook of Winn Falls. The falls can be seen from a few roads here, but only from a distance - and only if you know where they're located. The usual view without a telephoto lens  is spectacular, but of the scenery looming over the road as you can't make out the falls, which are in the shadow in the center -- 



But I have my 100-400 lens with me again, so I'm able to zoom in to my destination for that day -- 


And even closer still ---




It's in full flow now, a thin ribbonlike cascade that spills down the rock face for about 365 feet, making it one of the longest waterfalls in all of Arizona. To me, it's not its length that's important, but the mere fact that it's here at all, in a supposedly desert environment. Visitors are amazed when they're told about it for the first time. I park, buckle on my pack, sling the 100-400 over my shoulder, and head out on the trail. I have the long lens out for easy access in case I see something that I need to take a photo of "right now", and the landscape lens is in the pack as I wouldn't need it immediately to take a scenic photo. A flock of Mexican Jays fly overhead, raucously calling in their distinctive voice, and one perches momentarily on a far tree set against the mountain before it flies off --




Mexican Jays are residents here, meaning they don't migrate, and are a welcome, predictable presence along a trail where I don't see anyone for the entire day. I whistle, cough, or make some kind of noise as I'm hiking just in case a "large kitty" is around; I don't want to surprise it.  I'd brought my trekking poles along to see if they help with maintaining my balance on the creek crossings and with going over possible snow on the trail (they do).  Signs of Hurricane Odile, causing the massive flood in September 2014, are everywhere. Here it caused rocks to be washed down the mountain, covering part of the trail. You usually see a few downed trees having fallen across the trail after the winter storms --


The trail crosses Greenhouse Creek. During the last time I'd hiked here a little more than a week ago I didn't have my trekking poles and the creek was running higher, so I didn't cross it as, being by myself, I didn't want to take the chance of possibly slipping on the wet rocks. This time, with the poles to help with the balance, it's easy-peasy -- 



Here's looking down the creek; the area off to the left is the trail covered by the rocks that had come down the creek bed during Hurricane Odile --



A brief side note. Some folks stopping by the Visitor Info Center have asked if there are any fish here in the Chiricahuas. Well, there used to be, but if the Horseshoe II Fire of June 2011 didn't kill them, then 2014's Hurricane Odile did, and that included a rare form of Dace that were only found here. All the fish are gone; in fact, pretty much all of the critters that used to live in or along the creek beds have disappeared. The radical change in terrain and loss of creatures, including some endemic species, have caused some longtime residents here to pack up their belongings and move out as they remember what it was like before the twin tragedies. 

Back to the hike...The Greenhouse Trail is a unique one as it passes through different habitats and ends up at the high Chiricahuas, connecting with the Crest Trail about 5 miles up from this crossing of Greenhouse Creek. The overlook to Winn Falls is only a third of the way up the trail, and I've heard that the rest is in terrible condition. This part of the trail used to be a very rough 4-wheel-drive road, so it's wide until the mountain meadow, then it turns into a proper trail. I pass the sign making the beginning of the Chiricahua Wilderness that was put up by volunteers in 2012. The trail crosses Greenhouse Creek again -- and I'm once again thankful for having the trekking poles with me as you have to step carefully on rocks to get across. The trail zigzags up the north facing part of a mountain. A few weeks ago it was still covered in snow as during winter the sun doesn't get to part, but thankfully it's melted -- in most parts. There are still a few sections with snow, so I have to stomp my boots into it to make deep prints so I can use them for heading back down. Here's one of those sections covered with snow -- 



And those are my boot prints... I eventually reach the last zig -- or is it zag? -- and come up to the saddle with the overlook --- 


You really don't hear the waterfall as it's on the other side of the mountain. And it's hard to get a full view as there are trees here, along with a few spiny ones that I end up getting stuck on. (Later, going back down, I brush against one, look down to my left arm, and see two spines stuck in it. Owie! ) But the views of the waterfall that you can get between the trees are stunning --


And the 100-400 lens comes in handy once again, and I'm able to steady myself enough so I can smooth out the flow somewhat; this is at a shutter speed of 1/4 second --



And here's a landscape-oriented view --




Just gorgeous. The views in all directions are spectacular -- 



Here's looking to the east, with the San Simon Valley behind the foothills; this is a great look at the Basin and Range topography, which starts at the eastern Sierra in California --



After having lunch up on the saddle, I head back down, carefully negotiating the snow banks, cross the creek again, then go through the mountain meadow where I come across a tattered butterfly which I believe is a Gulf Fritillary --



And I come across a flock of Yellow-eyed Juncos. I've always loved these birds; like Mexican Jays, they're a welcome sight as you're hiking solo along the trail. I've always found them friendly and inquisitive, as if they're just as curious about you as you are of them --



These Juncos are seen in the US only on some of SE Arizona's Sky Islands . The rest of the hike is uneventful -- and I'm getting tired. I get back about 3pm, take a quick nap, then head over to my friends Lori and Mark's house for beer and chicken wings, then go to the Portal Rescue room for a presentation of a resident's recent trip to Cambodia. It's an example of one of the unique things about this isolated area -- I've attended more cultural things here than I ever did when I was living in San Pedro. And another event is coming up the next day... 

Which starts off with another fleeting sunrise; it lasted all of 5 minutes -- 




I pick up the "critter cam" at the post office; I'll be installing it next to the water feature to see what comes in during the night. I go out to the well house to see if the mothballs are still keeping out the mice; yes they are. The day ends up with that other example of a cultural event here in the Portal/Rodeo area -- a classical guitar concert. He's Brazilian and has been coming here for the past 4 years. I love the classical guitar, having played it myself since around age 7, but though I still have a good guitar and music, I haven't pursued it for about 10 years now. I hope to now that I'm here in Portal -- and my friend Lori says she expects a concert from me in a about a year's time (I eventually get here to agree to 2 years. Gee, I'd better get cracking! ) The evening ends up at Lori and Mark's place, watching "The Martian" with Matt Damon! Except for the rah-rah ending, it's pretty good...


Taken with my cell phone --





3 comments:

  1. yesterday I met author Andy Weir at One Book One Peninsula----he was captivating ---wished I could have recorded the hour and half on a raining mid day no seat not taken mid day gathering---haven't seen film but the book was good read----got a potato from a Martian about 12 ft tall....going to JPL this month counting whales, docenting at Point Vicente. where peregine pair became residents and thrill us whale countershusband is planning on eating the potato today with their flying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a long and wonderful day for you. Capturing the sunrise, hiking Greenhouse trail with snow(still Winter for three weeks) and capturing Winn Falls in free fall after showing it frozen just a week ago. You managed a concert, dinner with friends and a movie review. Whew.

    ReplyDelete