Saturday, June 25, 2016

June 22-24 -- An FOS Tarantula, A Thirsty Coyote, And The Monsoons Have Arrived



The hot days continue. The temperature went over 100 degrees the other day,  and the 10-day forecast is for 90s all across the board. We're supposed to be entering the monsoon season, and we have been getting monsoon-y looking clouds and dark skies in the late afternoon, but so far it's still all "sound and fury, signifying nothing".  Even the "red skies in the morning, sailor take warning" haven't panned out -- though of course we have no sailors to speak of, as we're about 600 miles from the nearest ocean on the US side of the border -- 




The start of the monsoon season, usually around the first of July, means the male Tarantulas are out and about, looking for a female to mate with. The rain is supposed to encourage them to come out of their burrows, but as there hasn't been any to speak of, I guess they're due to come out come rain or shine, as I saw my First Tarantula Of The Season yesterday.  I went into the house and grabbed my camera to get a photo of him --




But when I went back in to get my longer lens for a better-quality photo, I came back -- and he was gone. They move FAST for their size, and I looked around just in case he surprised me, or was on the side porch. I don't mind Tarantulas, but if I know one is around, I'd prefer to know where it is...

The heat and lack of water are bringing the animals around in search of relief. I saw evidence of that the other day when two Gray Foxes came into my back yard during day and drank from the rubber water dish, and when I saw a Pronghorn family during the grocery run to Douglas. So it didn't surprise me when a coyote ambled in to my back yard to quench his thirst --



And the coyote really did amble, but I was inside the house and saw it out the back sliding glass door and knew that if I opened it, he'd take off. So I took the photo, then as I headed to slowly open the door he ambled back into the brush. Most of the wildlife, whether they're deer, fox, bobcat, coyote, or birds, seem to be quite comfortable, and unthreatened, when they're visiting my back yard. And that's how I like it. 

While I haven't been getting any WOW birds, nice ones have been showing up --


Mr. and Mrs. Blue Grosbeak


Pine Siskin; they're usually breeding up in the higher elevations by now, so seeing one here is "uncommon" 


A male Lucy's Warbler

While I love Faranuf and living on the east side of the Chiricahuas, I still get the itch to head out on the open road with Discovery II. After living on the road for nearly 2 years after I retired from Kaiser, I realized I wasn't a full-time RVer, and needed four permanent walls as my home base. But there was one place I always planned on visiting with the trailer -- Alaska. I was going to go last year, but I wasn't mentally ready for it. Now I am, since I have a place to come back to after traveling for about 3 months.  I'll be leaving Faranuf and Portal in about 2 weeks. With that in mind, I bought a new battery for Tundra, and replaced the windshield that had been hit twice by small rocks in past 2 months. But this weekend of the 25th I "lent" Discovery II to my friends Rob and Deb, the owners of the Rodeo Tavern across the way in New Mexico. They haven't had a real vacation in years, so I suggested they borrow the trailer and take off for a few days. It worked out for both of us, as Rob strengthened the awning that's caused me so much grief these past 6 months, and done other little improvements. Alas, he also discovered a propane leak both in the lines running to the propane tanks and the regulator. I'll have to stop on by an RV center in Tucson on the way up to Alaska to get it taken care of. 

Friday the 24th began with a beautiful sunrise, and was cloudy on-and-off all day. It's the beginning of the monsoons here, and the end of the dry conditions that has kept us in its grip for nearly 6 months. It's not the end of the heat, though; it's still going to be in the 90s, along with higher humidity. But it's a treat to see the colorful morning skies again --






Then in the early afternoon a thin curtain of rain came over the mountains. Lightning, thunder, and a small cell moved through our area, and the skies were magnificent; this is looking towards Cave Creek Canyon --



The season's first tarantula, dramatic clouds, rain and a small break in the heat -- the monsoon season is here...



1 comment:

  1. Your traveling adventure begins soon. Nice that your Rob is handy and was able to do some repairs while vacationing. Tundra Dos is getting ready for the trip too. When we cruised Alaska we took some off ship tours. In Ketchikan, our guide was from Monterey. He and his wife were guides for the summer. We noticed that the RV park was especially full. He told us his journey North. He mentioned that when the ship arrives with groceries that some items sell out within days with the swollen population of residents and pseudo residents. He wanted bananas so he drove 60 miles to another city. When he got back he was giving them out to others in the park. Perfect time to go.

    ReplyDelete